The first public library in Onslow County opened it doors to the public during the summer of 1936. This library was housed in a room on the second floor of the Abner H. Jarman Building located on the main street in Richlands. The first librarian was responsible for only 100 books, some of which were on loan from the State Library in Raleigh and some of which were donated by local citizens. The Women's Club of Richlands accepted responsibility as sponsors of the first public library in Onslow County. The library's collection grew quickly, and by 1939, over 1,000 books filled the shelves. By 1940, the library had grown to such an extent that the Library Board requested aid from the Onslow County Commissioners, who responded with a $300.00 appropriation.